A Spirit of Giving
As the managing contractor of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (LLNS) is committed to being a valued citizen and good neighbor in its local communities.
In the spirit of giving, LLNS has established the LLNS Community Gift Program. This year the LLNS Board of Governors has authorized up to $200,000 to community organizations. Gifts can range in amounts from $500 to $10,000. Eligibility criteria and application follow. The primary focus of these gifts are programs and/or projects that support public K-14 science, math, and engineering education (STEM); public K-14 special needs education, and performing arts programs (STEAM).
The LLNS Community Gift Program is separate and distinct from the annual LLNL HOME (Helping Others More Effectively) Campaign. The HOME Campaign is one of the Tri-Valley and San Joaquin Valley's most generous annual employee-based charity drives. The fundraising drive occurs in October-December of each year.
Gift Program Criteria
The LLNS Community Gift Program is open to publicly funded California K-14 schools, community colleges, 501(c)(3) entities and government agencies serving the Tri-Valley (Livermore, Amador, and San Ramon valleys), counties surrounding LLNL, including Alameda, Contra Costa and San Joaquin. Organizations must be sustainable and financially viable and will be asked to account for spending and program results. Additional criteria include:
- Organizations that received gifts in the prior years but did not file an acceptable Gift Accountability Report by the due date are not eligible for the current program.
- IRS-qualified 501 (c)(3) entities must be registered with a current status with the State of California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trusts. Status must be verified by the applicant prior to submission and can be done by conducting a search via the online tool provided by the State of California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General
- With the exception of K-14 educational institutions, which are addressed below, each applying organization is limited to one application.
- Restrictions on applications from K-14 educational institutions include:
- Multiple applications from the same school must be prioritized by the Principal or Dean.
- Applications from public and charter schools must be endorsed by the school Principal or Dean.
- Applications may be submitted by public and charter schools and the County Offices of Education in Alameda, Contra Costa and San Joaquin counties, as well as public and charter school educational foundations and PTAs in these counties. All school related applications, regardless of entry mechanism, require endorsement from the Principal or Dean, as appropriate.
- Faith-based entities may apply, but the gift cannot be used for religious purposes.
The LLNS Community Gift Program receives a high volume of applications each year. Unfortunately, not all applications are eligible for a gift. Following is a list of criteria that will render an application ineligible:
- 501 (c)(3) organizations not registered as current with the State Attorney General's Registry of Charitable Trusts.
- Computers, laptops and tablets are ineligible.
- General administrative, organizational, operating, and advertising costs, and printing of flyers or other publications to generally promote an organization and its services.
- Transportation in any form.
- General fund-raising or support for fund-raising events (e.g., walk-a-thons, dinner sponsorships, etc.).
- Organizations that received gift funds in previous years and failed to complete required elements (e.g. completing and returning Accountability Reports to LLNS).
- Food or beverages for events and/or fundraising.
- Home-based childcare/educational services.
- Individual(s) sponsorships/scholarships of any kind.
- Fraternal, labor, social or athletic associations, organizations or clubs.
- Political or lobbying organizations or those supporting the candidacy of particular individuals.
- Non-U.S. organizations or organizations whose activities are mainly international or national in focus.
- Organizations benefiting or serving animals.
- Building and/or infrastructure improvements.
- Purchases of automobiles, trucks, vans or other modes of transportation.
All applicants should expect to be notified of the outcome of their application by November 2, 2021. Applicants will be notified via email or telephone. Please ensure all contact information is current and valid on application.
Timeline (dates below may be subject to change; updates will be posted on this webpage)
- Monday, May 17, 2021 — gift call
- Friday, August 13, 2021 — gift applications due
- November TBD — gift awards presented
- Friday, December 31, 2021 — Accountability Reports due
The LLNS Community Gift Program's Application Review Committee will review each application and provide its award recommendations to the LLNS President.
Please contact llns-gift [at] llnl.gov for more information.
At any point in time, due to the unpredictable nature of the pandemic within California, the LLNS Community Gift Program may be required to be suspended for this year.
© 2021 Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC